Friday, August 15, 2014

Road Trip! Wichita Mountains Oklahoma

At last!  We made it to the mountains!

I have to admit, this little road trip was much too short for my liking.  A person needs more than a day to see the Wichita Mountains.  Well, this person, anyway.  haha!  I didn't even get to hike some of my favorite trails.  

In the video, you'll see the back roads most familiar to me, on the way to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge.  Somehow, I ran out of space on my GoPro, right when we got to Mt. Scott.  No worries, I came prepared, and captured the rest of the action on my Galaxy S5 phone.

As always, the drive up Mt. Scott makes me a little nervous.  Something about the dizzying height and the edge of the road that appears to drop away suddenly.  It's just a small mountain, but one of my favorites.  The view from the top is lovely.  Turkey vultures, or black vultures, circle the mountaintop all day, it seems.  A person might not think a vulture could be beautiful, but when you see them soar, well, they are quite a sight!

The view was breathtaking.  There were rain shafts off in the distance.  I think I could sit on the rocks all day and watch the world.  It's a peaceful place.

I've only captured a tiny glimpse of the Wichita Mountains.  There is so much more to see!  Next time we hope to bike around the park.  I'm not sure if we'll give Mt. Scott a go, though.  Did you see those cyclists going up that mountain!?  Wow!

I hope you enjoy the vid!  Take care out there! (^.^)v   


No comments: