Monday, May 28, 2012

Decisions, Decisions

Recently, time was up on our cell phone contract.  Normally, this is cause for excitement around our house, because it means we all get to choose new phones at a discounted rate, if we prefer, then renew the contract.  And we usually do, get new phones that is, since we wear out our phones like tennis shoes.  As for the contract, well, I guess I can't complain.  The service is good, Verizon, though the price is steep.

So, here is where our tiny dilemma starts.  Okay, first, I know this isn't the biggest deal in the world, since there are loads of far more pressing matters to attend to.  But here we were, our old Blackberry Curve cell phones in hand, a contract expiring and a decision to make.

Now let me say, I'm fond of my Blackberry.  It has loads of useful stuff on it.  And use it, I did.  Enjoyable, the way the tiny qwerty keyboard feels smooth under my fingertips, its delicate clicking and pleasing resistance as I type with my thumbs.  I was a fast thumb-typer.  I say was, because things have changed a bit.

As a clan, we sat at the dinner table tossing about ideas of what type of phone to get.  We all agreed, they had to be smartphones, since we travel, do work and things; and we all needed to get the same ones, for ease of communication amongst ourselves, affordability and so on.  Blackberry phones have a neat little messenger feature.  You can send messages to other Blackberry users without paying extra charges for text messaging.  A lovely feature, to be sure.  One I wasn't sure other smartphones, such as the iPhone, would have.

Yes, I was a bit ignorant about the iPhone.  And I was outnumbered.  The clan voted for the popular guy.  The guy without the pleasing tactile keyboard.  My thumbs were sure to miss that keyboard.  I fought for the Blackberry, though I admit it was weakly, since I, too, was curious about trying something sleek and fun.  Because let's face it, the iPhone is pretty much fun.  There are apps to be had and such.  Blackberry has those things, though occasionally buggy and sluggish.  Even still, I'd grown fond of it.  And, boy, was it durable!  I can't tell you how many times I've dropped my Blackberry, watched the battery and its cover skid across the floor, only to reassemble it with nothing broken and everything working good as new.  A tough guy, that one.

In simple terms.  Blackberry Curve is awesome for straightforward "get the job done" kind of things.  Its durable and the keyboard is easy to use.  You can changed the battery if necessary.  Here's a thought... Do I need to send in my iPhone to do the same?  I don't even know.  Or is it as disposable as everything else out there appears to be...  Seems a bit pricey to be treated this way.  Whatever the case, my Blackberry was a good phone and it was an older version.  The new stuff is likely an even better product.

My feelings have changed some, now that the new guy has arrived.  I'm finding it difficult to defend my old phone, faithful as it may have been.  But it's only because I like to be entertained, and shiny new things entertain me for a little while.  Haha!

 

Now, the iPhone.  We opted for the iPhone 4, since none of us could justify the need for the 4S version.

The new guy arrived packaged quite nicely.  The box a simplistic clean design, normal Apple fashion.  It was easy to get the phone and its goodies out.  Immediately, I turned the phone on and in no time at all, the phone was set up.  That was too easy, I thought.  At first, the touch screen keyboard was a bit maddening.  If I were to say a negative thing about this phone, that's the one thing.  I still don't know how people type with their thumbs on this thing!  Other than that, I've had nothing but fun adding music and apps to it.  There are tons of apps.  Loads of them are messengers--just what I was looking for.  I've googled things, watched videos and even checked out my house on Google Earth.  All the things I'd do on my laptop.  It's so fast!  The screen resolution is beautiful.  The camera is wonderful.  There are so many things you can do with this phone, I haven't even scratched the surface.  It isn't just that you can do things with it, it's that you can do them quickly and efficiently.  Nice.  Oh, and you can make phone calls, too.  Haha!

I suppose for now, we're iPhone peeps.  At least, until the next shiny gadget comes along. (^.-)      


No comments: