Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Humility and Salad





This beautiful big salad is my brunch today.

In it is a mix of romaine, kale, spinach, carrots, celery, orange slices, a touch of salad vinegar and a tiny bit of salt. It's pretty yummy actually, and no doubt full of nutrients. Though I might have been able to avoid the salt and vinegar altogether for an even healthier meal. It'll take me a while to finish, to be sure. That bowl is bigger than it looks!

It's good to eat slowly. It's the best way to get the good out of good food and it gives a person time to think.

Yesterday, a good friend of mine said some things that struck a chord. He said it in a video he posted--he's been vlogging his raw foods weight-loss journey. Which, by the way, is going pretty well. Anyway, he mentioned how he felt the people around him seemed to be moving slowly, while he was speeding right along. He was irritated by it, I thought. Though, in some way, he seemed surprised at his irritation. I sort of understand what he's talking about. I used to live in that town. It's small, so things flow without urgency.

He remarked about an experience he had, whilst buying produce. The cashier, a slow one, an apparently largish one, set a bag of organic apples down rather harshly after ringing them up. He was rather annoyed by it. I suppose I don't blame him. Often cashiers are numb to the tedium of scanning hundreds of odds and ends of stuff. I know, I used to be one. Haha! The monotony sort of makes the eyes glaze over.

There were more things said in the video about shopping experiences and about the whole of the public. To sum it up, he was dealing with zombies. People walking around in a daze, who appear to have no idea what's going on around them and could care less to change it. It's more noticeable, perhaps, to a former zombie. Or even to an outsider. A tourist. He's become an unintentional tourist in his own hometown.

In the beginning, I found the video off-putting. I thought my buddy came off as slightly arrogant. It surprised me how uncomfortable it made me feel. And since yesterday, when I watched it, I've been trying to discern why that is.

So far, I think the reason is, I see myself in what my friend said. Not only am I the half-asleep cashier, but also the annoyed customer. No different than anyone else.

There have been many times I've made remarks about the lackadaisical behavior of the public. To be sure, an article or two about the subject can be found on this blog. Particularly in the early days, when the town I'm in was new to me. It appeared everyone was oblivious to one another. They seemed to shop that way, drive that way. Blind to the existence of other human beings. This was shocking to me. And a simple misunderstanding. Because now, since I'm no longer a tourist, I see something else here.

I see busy people. Troubled, cranky, normal people. Like me. We are in the same boat. And since there are so many of us here, all going with the flow, it is difficult to focus on just one or two at a time. Even so, when one of us has car trouble or gets hurt, many will stop to lend a hand. There is kindness behind those seemingly empty eyes. It's a bustling town and a big one. One in which, basically, we are all doing the best we can.

And so, when I feel like uttering a foul thing about another of us here, I have to remember my own imperfection. For certain, my attention is not always focused, nor am I always the kindest person there ever was. Being a better human is a bit of hard work, at times. When you make some progress at it, you just sort of want to shout it to the world, share the knowledge, teach the other humans.

I think that's what my friend's goal is. Sharing what he's discovered about truly living and feeling alive. Perhaps, he's a bit impatient about it, because it's become so obvious to him what needs to be done. No time to waste. Each and every moment is to be savored, appreciated... noticed. "Start living NOW!" in flashing neon lights.

He's right, you know. But, not everyone is ready. The work that needs to be done to achieve such clarity is not easy. Some may never reach that "A-ha!" moment.

Perhaps, what is needed is a bit of patience. And a modicum of humility. Remember those times before your enlightenment. Lest you risk alienating those you could teach. In my rambling, it would seem that is the point. At least, I think so.

Even so, my bowl is empty...
~~~
My friend's YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/gillgamas

No comments: